Life in the War Zone: Go, Savannah Guthrie, GO

On this Friday morning everyone is going to be talking about the political Town Halls held last night -- former Vice President Joe Biden in Philadelphia and President Donald Trump in Miami.

There will be much chatter regarding the subjects touched upon, but I'm not going there.

What I'm going to do is say that NBC needs to give Savannah Guthrie a fat, fat raise. I don't doubt the woman is already making a bundle of money, but she's worth more than whatever she's getting paid. 

I'm a former journalist and familiar with asking questions of obnoxious and not-so-obnoxious politicians who tried talking over me, getting louder and louder. That's the case with recent similar programs in this political year, in which POTUS did his level best to out shout whoever was asking him whatever.

As to Ms. Guthrie, I admit a few years ago I thought she was a lightweight. You know, perky stories about puppies and anything that could be described as cute. She was a pretty face and thanks to some gift from the gods able to be AWAKE at ungodly hours. 

I was wrong. Wrong, wrong wrong.

Last evening I watched amazed at how she managed to stay on course during what was a pretty freaky exchange. POTUS got louder and louder and tried his usual moves of cutting people off. She kept a steady hand on the tiller, and asked the question again, insisting on an answer. She didn't back down once and was checking facts to boot.

During the event I read comments on social media from people who said she was "disrespectful" of POTUS. There were other statements, and I'll leave it to readers to fill in the blanks. Some were the usual drivel about women who were too pushy. The inference was that she should have been nicer, you know, like girls are supposed to be.

Folks, Savannah Guthrie was doing her job. She was asking questions of a man who is trying to retain his status as POTUS and doing everything in his power -- good, bad and indifferent -- to keep it. Being pushy is part of the package. 

Ms. Guthrie, my apologies. You held your own and had me screaming "Go Savannah!" at my TV screen. I haven't done that in awhile. Thanks for that. And by the way, loved the hot pink.

And to the folks at NBC (a network where I once worked) GIVE THE WOMAN A RAISE. 

Wear the face masks,  people, wear the damn masks.

Comments

  1. What pisses me off is that if Savannah was a man, her critics would have a different point of view. She did what Chris Wallace could not do which is being pointed and not taking any crap, without being perceived as argumentative or taking sides. She did not allow him to put out misinformation without being challenged. She does deserve a raise

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts